|TechTransform, April 27, 2008: Crossbow Group's Jay Bower gives us his spring update.
Keeping Your Customers
A recent, well publicized CMO Council survey of global marketers concluded that only 16% of companies rate themselves as effective customer relationship managers. Given the cost to find a new customer vs. keep one (5x more expensive to find) and available expertise and technology this is mystifying. If you're among the other 84%, build an action plan today to change that. Today.
And he has some tips:
Try HTML "Lite". There is a tendency to overdesign prospect and/or customer email, emphasizing graphics over copy and content But in several test over the last few months our clients have succeeded with a 30/70 balance of design to copy, using understated, branded templates that feel more like communication and less like marketing.
Use paid search campaigns as a research tool. There is no faster, less expensive way to get a transactional reading on new messaging, offers and concepts than putting a program up on Google Adwords and/or Yahoo and MSN. And truth be told, you don't need a solicitous agency to do it. Spend 30 minutes on Google's site and you can be up, running and learning - fast.
Thank your customers or clients twice a year. Tell them you appreciate them, tell them why, mean it and give them something free (if only a useful piece of information). And don't ask for anything in return. You'll find that your "engagement" campaigns (where you do want something in return) are much more effective.
Jay is President of Crossbow Group, a Connecticut-based direct marketing agency originally founded by direct marketing guru Bill Mirbach.
click on my signature to comment